Monday, March 30, 2009

Old-Fashioned Meatloaf

from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two p. 188


1 1/2 lbs ground chuck
1 Tbsp minced onion or shallot
2/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
3 Tbsp grated carrot
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup ketchup
ground black pepper to taste
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce


1. Place the ground beef, oats, and egg in a large mixing bowl. Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, onion, carrot, salt, and pepper. Using your hands or a large fork, mix gently but thoroughly, being careful not to compact the meat. shape the meat mixture into a mounded oval or round loaf, depending on the shape of your cooker.

2. Make a foil 'cradle' that will help you easily remove the meatloaf from the cooker when it is done. Tear a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil that is about 14 inches long. Fold in half lengthwise, then in half again lengthwise to make a strip about 3 inches wide. Place the foil strip into the crock. The edges of the foil will come up the sides of the crock; they don't need to come out the top. Center the meatloaf in the crock, on top of the strip. cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 5 hours, until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the meatloaf reads 160 to 165 degrees.

***Personal note: I thought the meatloaf was not as good as my own recipe, but my daughter loved it. I think 2 eggs were need to hold it together better. Maybe a little mustard would have helped the flavor. I also added some dry oregano and basil.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, that's it! I love this blog! I love recipes and am very excited about trying about 20 of these right now. Tonight. I can't decide what to make first.

JJ said...

Yum! I remember something very similar when I was a kid. lol

Hey, please send your name and address so I can give it to Jane soon.Thanks.