Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Cowboy Potatoes

This is a yummy recipe that I got from my sister, Susan. Last year I couldn't find my copy of the recipe so I called Susan and asked her if she could read it to over the phone. She had no idea what I was talking about! She had never even heard of Idaho Potato Delight. As I describe it to her she did know what I was talking about but they call it Cowboy Potatoes. That name fits it better so I'm slowly working that name into my family's repertoire.



5 - 6 potatoes, baked
green onions, chopped
1 lb ground beef
mushrooms, sliced
1 pkg dry onion mix
cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 - 1/2 cup water
sour cream

Bake potatoes at 400 degrees for 1 hour. Meanwhile brown ground beed.
Add onion soup mix and water; let simmer. To serve: Split baked potato, top with hamburger, sour cream, onions, mushrooms and cheese.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dad made a dish similar to this in the Dutch oven. He sliced the potatoes and put it in with the rest of the ingredients and cooked it over the hot coals. When he took it off the heat he added the sour cream. We loved these when we were camping and/or fishing. Brings back wonderful memories of my dad. We called them Hired Hand Potatoes as it was a recipe my grandma used to make when they would have hired hands helping with the spud and sugar beet harvests in Southern Idaho.